A fire that badly damaged the roof of a house on the edge of Horsell Common might have been caused by a fault in an array of solar panels.

Surrey Fire and Rescue Service sent six fire engines and a water carrier to the property, situated off Chobham Road, on Saturday afternoon.

A spokesman for the brigade said: “We attended a fire at a property on Horsell Common on Saturday following a call around 3.50pm. The crews arrived to find the roof of the house well alight.

“Two hosereels and one water jet were used at the incident, with operations concluding at 7.45pm.

“There were no casualties and it is believed that the fire may have been caused by solar panels on the roof of the property.”