Westfield crash out of FA Cup

PLUCKY Westfield succumbed to a 2-0 defeat as their FA Cup run came to an end on Wednesday.

Stacey Field put Aylesbury United in control after 14 minutes with a superb finish and six minutes later the hosts doubled their advantage when Ben Baines thumped home.

Last night’s first qualifying round replay defeat followed a 1-1 stalemate at Woking Park on Saturday.

And John Comer’s Yellows were left to rue not finishing off their Southern League Division One Central opponents over the weekend.

Field had led 1-0 on Saturday through Simon Sheppard’s close-range finish. But some poor defending allowed Jason Blackett to equalise on the stroke of half time.

The Ducks had Richard Armstrong sent off with just under 10 minutes to play but Westfield could not capitalise on their numerical advantage and were forced into another 90 minutes of football.

Despite a promising start the visitors’ hopes of extending their cup heroics – this being the furthest Westfield have ever progressed in the competition – were shot down with two goals in a nightmare eight-minute spell.

Field’s first goal since his return from injury took just 14 minutes to arrive, running on to strike partner Blackett’s flick and finishing with his customary aplomb.

Eight minutes later Baines doubled United’s advantage when he fired home from close range after Lee Grace’s deflected shot fell invitingly at his feet.

Aylesbury were at last making their superior league status tell as keeper Jack Sillitoe ended the half, and the match, without a serious save to make, whilst the Ducks created plenty.

The second half was a more scrappy affair as Westfield battled hard to try and get back into the game but a resolute defensive display helped United to their first clean sheet of the season.

In stoppage time Keith Williams saw a penalty saved by Field stopper Craig Bradshaw, but 2-0 was enough to give Aylesbury their first home win of the season and end Comer’s cup hopes.

  •  A D Labs for dentures direct

Comments are closed.