Travel hell after train kills man in West Byfleet

A MAN was killed after being hit by a train near West Byfleet station on Monday.

South West Trains reported major delays to services after the rush-hour incident, which involved the 4.15pm stopping service from London Water-loo to Portsmouth Harbour.

All four lines heading both towards and away from the capital were closed from around 4.50pm until around 9.30pm while emergency services attended − the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigating officers have already ruled out the involvement of foul play in the death. A British Transport Police spokesman confirmed: “The incident was attended by Surrey Police officers and is currently being treated as a non-suspicious one.

“Medics from the South East Coast Ambulance Service also attended the scene of the accident, but the man, believed to be 26 years old and from the Woking area was pronounced dead at the scene.

A file will be prepared for the coroner.” Alternative travel arrangements were put in place, including rail rep-lacement bus services and ticket acceptance on alternative rail routes.

London Underground were also accepting the relocation of Waterloo commuters to Paddington station via the Bakerloo Line. Commuters took to the social networking site Twitter to air a mixed bag of frustrations and praise for the South West Train staff who dealt with the tragedy.

One passenger, Neil Mossey, posted: “Our train hit a person and awaiting a police investigation. Horn sounded 4 times but alas…”

Liam Oliver added: “Who knew how invaluable hashtag searching can be while stuck on a train with little info about what is going on.”

While trying to appease their disgruntled customers, South West Trains said: “We have commenced our train service recovery plan to ensure that we get all our customers home this evening following the disruptive incident at West Byfleet.

“Due to the length of time for which the line was closed and the number of trains that have been delayed by it, some services on these routes may have to be altered or cancelled to allow the service to return to normal as quickly as possible.”

Meanwhile, the knock-on effects of the tragedy were taking their toll on Woking’s Monday evening roads.

Replacement coaches caused a blockage at the station entrance, which created something of a nightmare for road users.

One commuter commented: “I may be later than usual, but at least I know I will be getting home tonight.”








  •  A D Labs for dentures direct

Comments are closed.