IT MUST have been a tight squeeze in Woking Council’s chamber when its offices occupied a number of former detached houses, post-war prefabs and huts in Guildford Road.
The picture here is thought to date from about 1973-74, with David Robinson seen in the chairman’s seat. He was the last chairman of the former Woking Urban District Council.
The council offices had been in a purpose-built building in Commercial Road from 1906. It was rather small and the council soon outgrew it, along with the growth and needs of the district. In 1939 the majority of the council’s departments moved to what was supposed to be temporary accommodation in Guildford Road. They remained there for just over 40 years!
More details and pictures in the 14 June edition