NATIONAL and local press, BBC television and radio crews crammed into Guildford Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday to await the verdict of a Woking teenager, only to be told the case had been discontinued.
Nineteen-year-old Mohammed Mazar, had posted offensive comments on a social media site after the savage killing of British soldier Lee Rigby.
Mazar, of Balmoral Drive, had been charged with the improper use of a public electronic communications net-work under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.
At the time, Neighbourhood Superintendent Matt Goodridge had said: “Surrey Police will not tolerate language used in a public place, including on social media sites, which causes harassment, alarm or distress. Anyone who witnesses such behaviour should report the incident 101.
Mazar was released on bail to appear in front of magistrates on June 11.
However, the crowds in the court room were surprised when they were told that the case had been discontinued. Both the disgruntled press and public had been notified in the court.
The prosecution claimed that Mazar had been sent a letter a week before his hearing, which allegedly dropped the charges against him.
Drummer Rigby, from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, had been hit by a car before being assaulted with a meat cleaver and knives by two men in the brutal killing outside Woolwich barracks in south east London, at the end of last month.
Rigby, 25, was the father of one, from Manchester, and had fought for his country in Afghanistan.
The news prompted members of Woking’s Muslim community to further distance themselves from the vicious attack.