Brooklands driven on by gleaming Grand Prix motors

AN IMPRESSIVE line-up of gleaming Grand Prix cars covering more than a century of competition gathered in Sunday’s sunshine to mark the 90th anniversary of the first ever British Grand Prix.

This year’s Brooklands Reunion also featured a huge display of pre-war cars and motorcycles and a two-hour session of demonstrations on the Mercedes-Benz World circuit next door to the museum. The first British Grand Prix was at Brooklands on 7 August 1926, with a second event held the following year.

For those first races, the circuit was 2.6 miles. To mark the 90th anniversary of that first race, an eye-watering display of Grand Prix cars – ranging in age from 1912 up to machines from the current decade – were out in force, including the museum’s 1926/27 Delage 15-S-8 driven by the 1926 team, which came second in the 1927 Brooklands race.

Other Grand Prix cars from the museum included the 1912 Lorraine Dietrich ‘Vieux Charles III’, James Cheyne’s Halford Special, which also raced in 1926, and the modified 1927 Duesenberg Indianapoliscar which Enzo Ferrari entered in the 1933 Monza Grand Prix in Italy. Bugattis are always a popular feature and Sir Malcolm Campbell’s Type 39A and Count Czaykowski’s Type 51, both with great Brooklands history, were shown off.

  •  A D Labs for dentures direct
  •  

Comments are closed.